The following list of Food programs in Durham Region. The meals and grocery items are free, but there may be eligibility and timing restrictions. Contact the organization first for more details.
Contact Kujenga at: 289-624-9431 if you need assistance accessing resources in the community. We are here to help.
The Salvation Army Hope – Ajax
- 122 Hunt Street, Ajax, ON
- Services residents of Ajax, Pickering and Uxbridge.
- Offers emergency food, clothing, and furniture based on income and situation.
- Hours: Monday to Thursday 10:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Please call to make an appointment at 905-427-7123
- Community meals lunch program takes place Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00pm-1:00pm on a bi-weekly basis. Currently this program is suspended due to Covid-19, however, staff and volunteers will place granola bars, juice boxes, and a sandwich into a bag and will distribute at the back entrance of the building.
Simcoe Hall Settlement House -Oshawa
- 387 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa, ON
- Phone: 905-728-7525
- Foodbank Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 9:00am-11:30am and 1:00pm-3:00pm.
- Holiday hours vary, please look online before accessing foodbank.
- Virtual after school program for children in grades 1-8
Gate 3:16 – Oshawa
- 64 Albany Street, Oshawa, ON.
- Is a Christian drop-in centre for peoples ages 24 and up who are homeless.
- Hours: 8:00am – 2:00pm
- Provides breakfast and lunch: Monday to Friday, take-out only due to Covid-19.
- Provides counselling services, medical services, emergency dental work, foot care, emergency bus fare, hairdressing, laundry services, clothes, hygiene supplies, and showers.
The Back-Door Mission – Oshawa
- 66 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G3
- Provides help to individuals living off a set old age or disability pension, unemployed individuals or those struggling to make ends meet, homeless individuals, individuals in low-income housing, and more.
- Provides meals (boxed lunches) everyday from 10:00am-1:00pm.
- Food pantry is open Monday to Friday from 10:00am-1:00pm.
- Clothing assistance is available Monday to Friday 10:00am-1:00pm.
- Monday to Friday from 10:00am-3:00pm they also provide help by providing medical help, crisis and mental health supports, a rest centre, harm reduction supplies, withdrawal management, and financial assistance.
The Refuge – Oshawa
- 300 Court Street, Oshawa, ON, L1H 4X4
- Religious drop-in centre for youth 26 and under who are homeless.
- Breakfast and lunch are served each weekday through the Second Chance drop-in program.
- Every Sunday evening, a family style dinner and discussions about the Bible take place through Levi’s Table.
- Showers, laundry, bus tickets, and more are available.
The Salvation Army -Oshawa
- 45 King Street East, Oshawa, ON.
- The food bank is available to anyone living in Oshawa or Port Perry who are in need of food.
- Clients are provided with a 3-4 day supply of food, as well as hygiene and infant supplies.
- Please call 905-723-7422 ext. 221 to make a food bank appointment, as they can only serve the first 25 households.
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9:30am-12:00pm, please arrive at least 30 minutes before closing.
- Please bring photo identification for adults, identification for each family member, proof of address, income and rent required, and grocery bags.
- Individuals can also access the thrift store to receive discounted or free clothing and furniture through a voucher program. Thrift store is open Monday- Friday 11:00am-4:00pm, and Saturday 11:00am-3:00pm.
Carea Community Health Centre – Oshawa
- Oshawa Location: 115 Grassmere Ave., Oshawa, ON, L1H 3X7
- Provides a fresh produce/dry goods box on a weekly basis. Must be a registered, active, and a qualified client who was referred by your provider. Oshawa site only.
- Call: 1-877-227-3217 for program information.
- Also provides free programs, workshops, and groups that focus on health issues and wellness.
- Carea CHC is staffed with family Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Counsellors, and Administration Support staff. Oshawa, Ajax, and Pickering sites serve all ages.
- Due to Covid-19, Carea staff are only seeing clients by appointment only.
Adventist Community Services Centre- Oshawa
- Food and clothing blank available once a month to residents of Courtice and Oshawa.
- 1170 King Street East, Oshawa, ON, L1H 1H9
- Centre is currently closed due to Covid-19, however, if in desperate need of food please call on Wednesdays from 9:30am-3:00pm. Food should be delivered the following day (Thursday) between 9:00am-1:00pm.
- Must present photo ID, provide ID for each family member, and provide a proof of income.
- Proof of income can include: Government pension stub, Ontario Works information, Employment Insurance pay stub, Disability income pay stub, or bank statement showing income deposited directly into the bank account.
- Phone: 905-433-8800
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church -Whitby
- 209 Cochrane Street, Whitby, ON, L1N 5H9
- Provides fresh produce/perishable food items, baby supplies, incontinence products and personal hygiene items to clients.
- Available at all members of the Durham community who require assistance.
- Please call 905-668-4022 if you require assistance.
Learn more about resources in the community
In March 2020, a global pandemic reached Canada, leading to massive closures across the country. It was anticipated that the closures will encourage people to stay home where they will be safe. However, for many people, home was not a safe place. Since the pandemic, the rates of intimate partner violence has increased. Another statistics […]
Black people in Canada have diverse backgrounds and experiences. While some can trace their roots in Canada for many generations, others have immigrated in recent decades. They have contributed in many ways to the growth, diversity and development of Canada. Over 20 years, the black population of Canada has doubled in size, going from 573 […]
When your mental health requires specialized treatment or intervention, it is important to seek support immediately. Everyone has experienced periods of un-wellness within their lives, and while there is stigma about accessing support there is no shame in seeking support for your mental health. Anyone can access specialized mental health resources at anytime, but if […]